View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
luifer76

Re: for the dually guys....20" rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.FENS View Post
Since it's Saturday night and I have no life I crunched the numbers.

My dually is currently slowly sinking into my yard on 215/85-16's (overall diameter of 30.4").

The closest 20" sizes would be a 265/50-20 (30.4) followed by 255/50-20 (30" even). Both sizes sell for an average of $200 @ Discount Tire Direct (I had to pick an average figure since tire pricing is all over the map).

Add in the pricing on the wheels ($1500 or $1700) and it bumps the total up to $2700 for classics or $2900 for straight spokers. I'd guess mounting and balancing would add another hun, give or take.

To play devil's advocate, Lock sells cut semi wheel packages starting at about $3500, and the Townasty wheels for around $4250, IIRC. Granted, these prices are only for four wheels, but does include adapters which run about $800 - 900 by themselves. I use Lock as an example because the prices are on the website for anybody to see.

So you pays your money and makes your choices. I saw these wheels last week and thought a set of 20's would be hella cheaper than a set of semi's, but that really doesn't seem to be the case, unless you don't have a problem with really super cheap tires like, I dunno, LingLongs or whatever, or have a tire hookup (I don't).

IMO, if you don't choke on a 3K price tag you might as well step up and get what you really want.

DISCLAIMER: the tire prices I got are for name brand tires (Falken, Kumho, and BFG). There are probably cheaper tires out there especially on eBay, or even nice used tires.
good point....