View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
17again

Re: 1959 GMC "Ol' Indian"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther Grimace View Post
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...d/216032/tp/2/

This guy does a CLR demonstration on his 59 El Camino. One thing to remember is to use some gloves when you do it because CLR is pretty acidic I believe.

Here are some pictures of when I did mine to my fenders. I don't have a real close up of before but you can see a difference. I believe the scothbrite pad does most of the work. I mixed mine 1 part CLR to 3 parts water so 25/75 but you might want to do 4 to 1 so it lasts longer. I also used warm water just for the simple fact it was cold outside but it prolly helps out lowering the surface tension too. I scrubbed the fenders then let it sit for about 15 minutes scrubbed it down one more time and washed it off with a water hose a couple of times. Prolly outta wash it one good time too after you get done with the whole truck.

Here is a picture after it got done. You can see the big difference between the fender and the hood!
Wow! Thanks for that little input. That's absolutely incredible, I will absolutely be doing this to my truck. Oh and you basically have the best truck in existence, tri-5 Chev with a first gen 12V. Badass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
the scotchbrite pad gets rid of the oxidation layer on the paint. the clr gets the rust.
that is pretty amazing results
Won't the scotch brite pad eliminate any clear coat? Do you have to clear the truck after you do this CLR bath? Thanks.

I talked to the president of the Pittsburgh chapter of the POCI (Pontiac Oakland Club International) and he tells me that in 1959 GMC used a 336 and in later production a 389. I know my motor isnt a 389 due to the water ports in the heads, so it's definitely the 336. Disappointing, but whatever. Im still going to try the 389 head swap, just going to have to use a 389 timing cover and water pump. Hoping to be able to use a 389 electronic ignition also without having to do a points distributor conversion.
52 GMC 3100 5 window (daily)
79 C30 single cab dually shop truck
87 K5 (daily)
17again is offline   Reply With Quote