Thread: Brake swap help
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
98layinframe

Re: Brake swap help

In the world of s10's yes they are semi year dependent. The older rearends 82 - about 93ish had a completely different flange and brake cylinder mounting setup. If he had that year range rearend the flange top would need cut off and holes drilled to line up with the newer 98+ disk brake mounts.

If the rearend is a 94+ unit, no problems everything should bolt right up. Gm finally wised up and converted over to a more standard style of housing flange

I had to narrow my 2wd blazer disk brake rearend 6" in order to fit my custom backspace wheels inside the sheet metal. Unfortunately the shop that did the work didnt know the drum and disk setups were different... so he set everything to fit the drum spacing.. doh. Not a major deal though, my disk setup still fits on just fine, only difference is the abutment bracket is slightly off center of the rotor. I figured out the I can simply cut up my old drum backing plates and using only the very center section of the plate it works out perfect as the spacer I need.

Also the brackets you have. What clocking position do they hold the caliper? If you were standing looking at the driverside rear wheel, a 4x4 blazer bracket will hold the caliper at a 9-10 o clock position towards the front of the truck. The 2wd mounts will hold the caliper at a 2 - 3 o clock postion towards the rear of the truck. I have a set of both and personally prefer the 2wd mounts since make the calipers match the fronts position on the wheels.

The abutment brackets are interchangeable and you can run either style on either rearend (2wd or 4x4). The rotors are not. Due to the 4x4 being wider, a 4x4 rotor has a much larger hat depth to it.

Last edited by 98layinframe; 02-06-2013 at 09:33 AM.
98layinframe is offline   Reply With Quote