View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
jimmydean

Amber gets tunes.

So the insurance cut me a check for my car finally and I went shopping. I picked up a very nice '92 Silverado 2500 with low miles and had not been abused or cut up (that's my job).

My daughter calls her Amber because of the red stripe. I like it.

The dealer I got the truck from had just replaced the heater core, so that was a bonus. The interior is crazy clean, but I noticed a lot of rust on the base of the seat and the bolts on the drivers side were rusted. After a lot of PB blaster, I got the seat out.

Tore the interior out

When I pulled the carpet up, the drivers side was soaked. The pad was dripping and the floor looked awful. So out goes the carpet and pad.

Wire wheel

Rust encapsulator and top coat

Back to the stereo. The stock '92 has 4x6 in the dash and 4x6 in the rear pilar. I didn't want to do a bunch of work, so I decided to replace the dash with 4" round 2 ways and the rear with 4x6 2 ways.

Here's what I got all together:
Pair of 4" round (dash)
Pair of 4x6 (rear)
Pair of 6.5" separatres (door)
10" shallow sub (rear)
MTX TN400/4 400 watt 4 channel.

Out with the old, in with the new

Sub box (.75 cubic ft sealed) and amp rack. Sub isn't centered because I wanted to fit the tool box back in on the passenger side.

Doors before:

Doors now (tape was holding speaker for mock up )

Got a little dark (it was very late )

Sounds pretty damn good. Total cost was just under $300 total (deck was in the truck).

Amp: $60 pawn shop
Mid/High Speakers: $100 Frys Electronics
Sub: $80 Car stereo store
Speaker Wire: $25 50ft at Radio Shack
Wood, misc crap: $35 Home Depot

I have some intermiten motor noise, so I went to Car Toys to see if they had any ideas. I thought it might be my ground. The shop manager took a look at it and said "This looks better than half the guys in here" I fewlt better about that.

I think it's in the deck. But it works for now. Enjoy.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote