View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
wilkin250r

Re: Crossover steering question

Not a "who is right" issue, but just to clarify my position, my understanding is that bumpsteer occurs when both sides of the suspension are moving together. In a solid axle setup, the axle would move up and down, but still be parallel to the frame. Rollsteer occurs when the two sides are travelling differently, like body roll while turning, or when traveling over obstacles, and the axle is no longer parallel to the frame. I've never heard bumpsteer referring specifically to changes in toe-in, even though that's generally what happens with IFS.

And I agree with Mr. 250r, I've heard very little mention of people claiming that crossover caused death wobble. Death wobble can be a very difficult issue to nail down and fix because it has a lot of possible causes and variables (duh, if it was a simple as "balance your tires" it would never be an issue because it would be so easy to fix) but it is very often caused by instabilities or slop in the steering components. Any slop or play in the drag link is going to more significant in an 18-inch drag link as opposed to a 48-inch drag link, because it's a larger percentage. And because crossover steering replaces so many components, you often change out worn-out or sloppy components with brand new.

There is no doubt that crossover steering is a stronger setup, and it's more stable as well because steering is naturally a side-to-side motion, and the added lengths involved reduce the severity of angles and also reduce the CHANGES in those angles as the suspension flexes. The only reason that the stock GM setup is more stable with regards to bumpsteer is because the drag link is parallel to the spring and moves in an almost identical arc with the axle as the spring flexes.