View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #70
jasonvw

Re: Crushing Gumby 71 Shortbed Patina build

The back of the truck is a much easier job than the front but just as important to how the truck drives. In back we have the adjustable ECE super track bar. This has a threaded end on one side that lets you lengthen or shorten up the bar and thus locates the rear end under the truck. My axle was over to the passenger side too much causing a bit of dog tracking.
Name:  rsz_img_1016.jpg
Views: 2527
Size:  57.7 KB
First Brock undid the adjustable end of the track bar and turned it a few times before reinstalling it and checking the computer.
Name:  rsz_img_1020.jpg
Views: 2219
Size:  42.4 KB
Name:  rsz_img_1025.jpg
Views: 2207
Size:  29.0 KB
It turns out that we had to lengthen the track bar about 1/2 inch to get the rear end centered under the truck! Way more than I thought and like I said before, we had used a tape measure at Teds to get it close. Again, further proof of why you go to a real alignment shop that takes their time. Once we had it straight, Brock locked it down.
Name:  rsz_img_1028.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  50.8 KB
With that job done, we squared the truck up one last time and the computer told us, we had it dialed! Everything was within spec and actually better than stock!
Name:  rsz_img_1029.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  32.5 KB
Brock pulled it off the rack and I took the truck for a ride. WOW, what a huge difference. It went dead straight down the road, even with both hands off the wheel (don't try that at home kids! ) The steering wheel was totally straight up and centered and the truck didn't grab grooves or track funny at all. I was super impressed with the difference.

I honestly didn't expect much of a change at all in how the truck drove after this. I basically figured it would be the same, just give me more tire life. I am really happy to say I got a lot more than I expected. Brock and I talked after and he said one of the tricks he does is he sets the drivers side up so that the camber and toe will even out when the driver is in the seat since the weight of the driver can effect those settings. Again, thats why I called around until I found a shop that is happy to deal with lowered cars. These guys are awesome and if you are in So Cal and need a C10 friendly place to take your truck, North Coast gets my vote! The drive home was really nice, and all I could think about was the next step, and the next step, and the next... and when I got home, I was greeted by a giant box! interior stuff is here!!!!

Follow me on Instagram for the latest updates:
http://instagram.com/deadairgarage