View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #37
quest

Re: 6.2 diesel swap, like to hear from people who have done it

Hey just came across your questions about the 6.2 diesel and I think it sounds like a great idea.

I can't believe all the neg comments from some people. AND by people that show in their comments that they obviously know absolutely nothing about GM diesels. I don't know why people want to blast your idea when they really don't know what they are talking about.....at all!

I have one main comment to make and that is to become a member thedieselpage.com, if you have not already done that. You will get nothing but positive feedback and support on their forums for your efforts.

I have owned and worked on several of these engines. Compared to the number of diesel engines that were made for GM trucks there have been relatively few failures and generally that is because in many cases people abuse the hell out of them like they would a gas engine. Anyone that is a truck driver or heavy duty mechanic knows that you can't do that.

There have been plenty of these engines that are still going after 500,000 miles because they have been taken care of. Try finding a a chevy/ford/dodge gas engine that has 500,000 on it.

The GM diesels were not built for the abuse of a gas engine, they were built first off for economy and under the right circumstances can get 30-40 mpg in a half ton. But they need to be well cared for. Secondly they are very easy to get parts for and very inexpensive and easy to fix. The most expensive thing you could do to this engine would be to buy a new banks turbo system for it, so shop around for a used one or adapt a 6.5 turbo setup.

I currently drive an 86 GMC with a 88 6.2 diesel that has 250k-300k kilometers on it and I have used it to haul 7500lbs loads with no problem. I have several 6.2 engines in my garage and have toyed with the idea of putting one in my 1965 K20 4x4 Although I am really into the original 292 cyl as well.

The 6.2 diesel can be very well built and powered up considerably for good power and still maintain good economy. Just check out thedieselpage.com . It's a great engine that is fun to build and fun to run, I think they are great.

My 3/4 ton 4x4 gets over 20mpg on the highway and about 15mpg with a big heavy trailer.