View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #220
Coach529

Re: 1949 Chevy 3600 into a daily driver

Huge day and a half for Henry. Pretty pumped on what got done and how it all turned out.

Started out the day hauling some scrap metal in and picking up some 4" wide x 3/16" flat strap to make notches.

Working with some pretty primitive tools at home. 4-1/2" grinder and a skinny wheel used to score the flat strap and then bent to 45 degrees in the vice.

I made the notch 4" wide. Probably did not need to be that wide.......but this is my first one so I claim ignorance.

Bent.

Welded.

Next I lowered the truck into close to ride height and figured out where to place the notch. I had the center of the rear diff marked on the frame, so I centered it on that.

Frame is 4" tall, so I made sure with the notch it was never narrower than 2". I marked it and cut it with a skinny wheel.

I had thought about a pipe notch, which I am told is stronger. I strayed away from it because I did not have the ability to cut the frame in a circular pattern beside a big hole saw which did not sound fun.

Notch done.

After the notch was done the leaf springs were bolted up and the rear end was fastened into place. After I got everything buttoned up I quickly attached the temporary Blazer rims and dropped it onto the ground to check out ride height. Looks great. The temp rear wheels are about 1-1/2" shorter than what I will be running. I also need to come up with a permanent solution for the rear spring mounts. That will all come into play for final ride height.

Right now it is sitting with about the perfect amount of rake, in my opinion anyway. About 2-1/2" from front of running board to back of running board.

Problem #1. The driveshaft is about 1" too long. I will have to shorten it. I spoke with a couple local guys and sounds pretty easy.

Problem #2. The stock S-10 springs are very soft. I do not have any shocks mounted, but I can stand on the center of the frame and bounce and almost bottom the frame on the rear end. I weight about 175lbs. Not sure exactly what to do. Overload "helper" springs crossed my mind. Looks like they can be had for about $70.00, or just bite the bullet and install some helper bags which would come in handy for leveling the truck if I haul a load anyway.

Any advice??

The long awaited money shot. I had to roll it outside to get a decent shot of the stance. Still not a great photo....

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote