View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
mr48chev

Re: '52 Pickup Steering Column Question

Not too small of a wheel though as too small starts looking out of place. The main thing is to match all of the pieces so that when someone walks up and looks in the cab of the truck it all is one complete package and not a batch of different components fighting with each other an not flowing together in one presentation.

The other thing and probably as important as appearance or more so is that it has to be comfortable to drive with for miles on end and sometimes for days on end on a road trip. I had an aftermarket wood wheel with he exposed rivets on it that was popular in the 70's on my truck for a while and everyone who looked at it said how great it looked but if you drove the truck more than twenty miles at a shot the holes around the rivets ate your hands up something terrible. Previous to that I had a 59 Corvette wheel in it that looked even more awesome in the truck than the wood wheel but the skinny rim was hard to hold for long periods of time. I figured out why sporty car drivers wore gloves to drive all the time with that wheel.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote