View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #1286
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

Re: Got some new wheels: Boss 338's in 20x10 and 20x8.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanaaron View Post
I'm gonna have to do this on a 1974 Caprice I just bought. It has the same larger rotor as used in the HD C10 rotor. I had to taper the hub as in your photos and have ordered ten longer qheel studs. with the 1/4" spacers, the wheel center aticks out past the hub as shown in your photo. without the spacer, the wheel center hits the hub where the grease cap goes. Have the Boss 338 in 18's.

Did you have to use the Cragar mag style lug nuts or just regular acorn nuts? Is there any type of safety concern with the way you mounted these?
Posted via Mobile Device
I can tell you that the wheels go right on the light duty rotors which are available on 81 and newer 1/2 tons with 1" thick rotor, although some have the non light duty rotors. I have a 78 blazer with 1-1/4" thick rotors and the wheels will not fit without modding the rotor snout. I have an 86 crosmember under my 68 SWB and it has 1-1/4" thick rotors and the wheel fits without modding the rotor.
There are differences in the rotors and the simplest way I can tell if they will fit is if the snout measures 2-3/4 accross it wont fit without working on the rotor. We just recently put wheels on the front of my cousins 72 and it has 1-1/4" thick rotors and the wheels went on with no modifications.
Also wheels that have a cap that is held on with an o-ring instead of tabs are revision 3 wheels. Revision 3 wheels are the ones that will fit sometimes as I have found out so far. I am a stocking dealer for 338's and these are my personal experiences so far , not rumor or hearsay.
I would tell someone who is going to do drop spindles and wants 338's to get spindles that use the light duty rotors and you won't have any problems putting them on. I know they make a spindle in this configuration as I have a pair of them right now and they fit the wheels perfectly. No spacer or anything. They us an a-corn style lugnut

These are pictures of the wheel on a 1" rotor , fully seated and no spacer.
Attached Images