View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #187
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Tossed the cab back on the frame and reinstalled the steering column and pedal assembly so I could cut the hole for the steering shaft and get the trans tunnel started. Patched the top left triangular piece that I got carried away with when doing my initial trans cut. Ordered cab corners, passenger floor and both steps with integral rockers so I can get started on the sheet metal.

Did a preliminary 10 minute mockup of the trans tunnel. Shorter but wider than I envisioned. Will push it to the right to get a little more clearance right of the gas pedal. Remember, the trans is 1"+ off center to the right. Cleaned up the donor shifter and e-brake units and took a look. Top is currently rectangular. May tapper it on the next mockup and see how it looks. Fortunately, when I removed the e-brake from the Ranier donor, I drilled out and removed the bracket it mounts to. The bracket comes with the mounting points for the cables under the vehicle.

Also, cut the long piece of steel (you can see it in the 3rd photo) to begin fabricating the beam that that the fronts of the seats mount to. Decided to abandon my initial approach which simply bolted seats to the existing beam and create this long piece with nuts welded to the bottom. Once fabricated, I will weld to the front and top of the existing beam. This piece will also bridge the structural beam I cut out for the trans/driveshaft clearance. The bridge will get a couple of pieces on top to replace what I cut out below and will be under the trans tunnel and out of site.

Question: Does anyone know what the third hole in the firewall is for under the hing mounting holes? You can see it in the top left of the first photo below. Could not determine what it was for so I was not brave enough to weld it closed. It is under the fender liner. thx dug
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote