View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #534
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Re: Project "Just an Old Truck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
well all I can say is... At least you're learning! lol You've put a lot of time into this thing and one day you will have just how you want it!
That's true I am learning PLENTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno72 View Post
Buck you are doing fine. How many of these trucks have you built? I am on my second and I can tell you this, I have learned a lot from my first but am still doing stuff a second time on my 68 that I have now. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to get it corrected to the way we want it. I have replaced my drop springs twice with little change in drop. I am about to change my rear blocks to essentially achieve a 1/2'" differance in drop My first truck was a 72 leaf spring truck so I learned about how lower the rear with leaf springs but the front was just springs and spindles. Now my 68 is a whole lot more work, I have already completely rebuilt the front end and I to will probably go with some tubalur control arms I guess what I am trying to say is your are far from alone in this situation. Just keep coming back here and venting with us and we will share your pain and let you know that everything is gonna be fine. Remember it will be well worth it once its finished......oh wait then you'll have to buy another because the sickness does not stop at just one
I guess there is strength in numbers, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable knowing there are a bunch of disgruntled truck nuts out there with access to power tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L View Post
Buck I definitely know exactly how you feel as I have made more mistakes building my truck then you could ever do I have changed my suspension 3 times, changed drivetrains twice and changed wheels 3 times. All this while i'm still in the build stage. Like you I wish I knew more in the beginning, I wish I just would have went with the Porterbuilt Dropmembers from the start, but I didn't and have come to terms with that. My biggest problem now is I just wish I would have bought a nice solid rust free truck like you did to start with cause I have a ton of bodywork and paint to do and don't know quite how I'm going to do it all. You can still drive your truck and enjoy it and change the things that bother you as time goes by. I say don't give up on it yet, you have a beautiful truck that i would love to have. Nothing is forever and things can always be changed. Don't give up on her yet.
Rust is tough, I must thank my luck stars my truck has minimal rust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno72 View Post
Good point Keith, at least your truck is a running driving truck. How many thumbs up have you gotten so far? Only you and us know whats underneath the truck, just take things one step at a time. I at one point put my truck up for sale cause I found rust in a place that I didn't see when I bought it. I know sometimes you just want to get rid of it and start over. Nobody builds a perfect truck in their garage the first time through. Make a list of the things you want to get done then just do them one at a time and check them off as you go. Seeing the check marks will give you a sense of accomplishment and will help.
Driving it is cool, and it does grab a ton of attention. But not driving it at the speeds a modern drive-train should provide bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdoubleU View Post
BuckSS - Check out the idea and possible use of a Fuel Swirl Pot (Also referred to as a Fuel Surge Tank) In your application.

I am going to work on trying to build a system with this concept to maintain my factory incab tank because I also bought a new tank that only supported a carb at the time.

This option may help you out without being too costly

http://flashcustoms.wordpress.com/20...uel-swirl-pot/
Interesting but I think I'm going to try and sell my tank to a carb guy and buy another Boyd Welding tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRC View Post
I agree with you guys....it's funny I was talking to the painter at work this morning and looking at my rendering , saying how much I liked the look of the seats while rembering that on my last truck I did the interior 3 times!!! Every build has some learning lessons , you just can't let it get you down. Keep up the good work your truck looks great!!! You have to remember your probably your own worst critic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Except for a new track on the drivers seat and some arm rests I am pretty content with my interior. Although, I would like to do something with my non-existent glove box!

Thanks very much for the pep talk guys, it is much appreciated. I am going to the heed your advice and prioritize my to-do list and knock things out as I can. I am looking forward to receiving the trailing arm crossmember, centering the wheels up should help her looks a lot as right now she looks like Stella Mae's ugly older sister. I am going to try and give the front end a good once over tomorrow night and see if I can find an issue, if nothing then I am going to pull the wheels and have them balance checked. Wheel bearings are an easy check too, so I will check them while I am at it. Anyway, I apologize for being so down on the truck, there is just a ton of stuff going through my head right now. The truck should be the outlet but if she's not right it just adds to the stress. Thanks again for the good words and encouragement. You guys are AWESOME!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green