View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #194
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Got the trans tunnel bent and installed thanks to my buddy Jim. He dragged some steel over and set up a short metal brake. Matched the template on the first try but my cardboard template was not as accurate as it could have been. Had to add some steel here and there to get the welding done. Did not weld the passenger side since that floor will be replaced when I take it back off of the frame. Learned alot about warping on this weld. Had to slow down and space out the tacks. Jim also provided the piece of sheetmetal. It came from his dead packaged AC unit.

Before the tunnel went in, I fabricated the front seat mounting plate. It also acted as the bridge over the driveshaft to replace the portion I had to cut to clear the driveshaft. Welded the entire perimeter and added some support over the driveshaft.

Next move is to fabricate the trans tunnel between the seats. It will be the mounting point for the E-Brake and I will utilize the sheetmetal I took out of the donor that has all the mounting points. Right now, the shifter feels good left of center and the e-brake to the right of center. Note the that the centerline of the tunnel ended up 5/8" to the right of the center of the cab.

Started looking for a welder so I can Jim's back to him. I have my eye on a Millermatic 211. Factory is offering a 15% rebate. Any comments and recommendations would be appreciated.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote