View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
SFTorange

Re: Value Estimates 1966 C-10 Custom - Restomod chevy 350 updated suspension

These things are so tough to call. When you're doing a frame-off restoration on a truck, things add up fast. It is very easy to hit 20k without really blinking, and that's doing a ton of your own work. Depending on what you start with, paint alone can hit 10K if you want it to be a nice job.

I'm shocked to see anyone say that they're doing a full frame-off with pro paint, etc. for $10k. They must be getting some screaming deals out there. When labor is in the picture, the final bill can make your head spin. I paid just shy of 8k for body work and paint (full frame-off), and I know I got a good deal from a very fair painter/body man. Heck, I had well over 1k in sandblasting and powdercoating.

All of this being said, any discussion of rust on a truck they're asking 20k for is pretty alarming. A lot can hide underneath a paint job, so a truck that looks and runs nice can have some nasty secrets. For that price, it should be in very, very good condition.

If they had a shop do a lot of the work, I can see how they had at least that much money in it. However, one rarely gets their money back on such a venture. You should be getting a pretty significant discount over what they have in it.

Good luck with everything. Truck looks nice from here..