View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #164
gdavis

Re: 72 C20 "Old Mustard"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard72 View Post
Thanks, Scott.

Well, as an update, I'm getting a better left fender (right one was the one patched above) from Scott. Plus I managed to find a rolling chassis in a junkyard around here. They had several trucks from this vintage, and I'm getting a bed off of a different one. The frame is a leaf spring C20 frame with a Dana 60. Forgot to check the axle tube for the ratio, unfortunately. The frame looks really solid compared to mine, with the only significant rust I saw around the parking brake brackets and that skinny cross member behind the axle that I think has something to do with holding up a spare tire or something. I know its a 67-72 GMC, but I didn't even check out what year it was, for whatever reason. The other truck with the bed on it was a 72 with a rotten coil spring frame like mine, but the bed is in better shape (still not great, but better). I paid $1000 for all of this, which includes delivery to my house. I probably overpaid for all of this stuff, but it was the only stuff that was quickly available with a complete rear suspension/axle and doesn't require taking up a whole additional day going back to get it. The going to get it part isn't as bad as all the running around getting my Dad's truck and a trailer from a buddy at work, all of whom live a ways away in different directions. Lots of driving around without actual cargo=squandered opportunity in my book. I squander enough opportunity unintentionally, I certainly don't need to plan it into the project, too

I'm kicking myself for leaving my phone (camera) in the car when we got to this junk yard. Its FULL of OLD cars and trucks. These early 70s trucks are on the new side compared to most of what he has, which is predominantly from the 40s-60s. I think there was something like 30 acres of cars. Never been in a yard like it.

I'll post some pics when it gets delivered, theoretically some time next week. I only paid $250 down, so there is incentive to the yard to get it delivered. We'll see how this goes. I don't like being dependent on someone else's schedule, but I weighed the delivery thing against spending the time it would take to go back and get the stuff when I could be working on stuff back here at home.

Time for bed....
Too bad you don't live near me. I have a rolling chassis with front sup sand blasted and painted black. Front sup has had upper and lower ball joints replaced. The rear end has been sand blasted and painted black it is a6 lug system. The seals has also been replaced on the axles. Only asking 500.00 The frame is in great shape. I went in a different directin.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote