View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
mr48chev

Re: 1952 3/4 Ton Rebuild

If you are planning on pulling the six later in favor of a V8 I don't think I would spend a lot of money on the 216 but put that money towards the V8 swap.

I'd stop and figure out why the engine won't turn over and decide if it was worth repairing before I spent another nickle on it. That's from a guy who has spent way too much money on things he ended up not using and then was stuck with the stuff he had spent the money on and no cash to buy what he needed. I'm not trying to be negative but trying to get you to look at things in a practical and economically sound manner.

My guess, since the top end looks so clean, is that the truck was parked because it had a rod out in the engine and that is what has it locked up. It won't hurt to put penetrating oil down the spark plug holes and it appears that you did to free up the rings but that may not work. If you have the brakes working good you might try towing it and letting out the clutch and seeing if you can get it to turn over that way rather than trying with the starter. Leave the plugs out so you aren't fighting any compression it might have. YOU HAVE TO HAVE GOOD BRAKES TO DO IT THAT WAY THOUGH! And don't hook the chain to the bumper.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote