View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
Grizz1963

Re: Weird collections - Number plates etc. Show us yours too.

As many of you know, Nicola collects smoking pipes and smoking paraphernalia so at some point the space has to run out.

Interestingly, the last few months has seen the price of pipes go up a whole load.

On Sunday she asked me if I could make her a pipe rack. They are usually big enough for 4-6 pipes.

For those of you who saw my BBQ build, you will have realized that I like to go large.
So with the pipe rack I decided to make a decent sized one.

She has this small rack downstairs, and then also has 5 book case shelves upstairs on the landing that are 1200mm long.

Current over crowding.

So in my typical style I started gathering some bits that I had laying about.

Started with a length of 90mm x10mm and cut that to two 900mm lengths, that way there would be 150mm space on each end of the pipe rack for some of her various tobacco jars.

Found a nice bit of fire wood with a multitude of knots that would be just right for the upright supports.

Note the gnawing marks where the field rats had taken off all the bark while the wood lay drying the last two years.

Trimmed loads of knobs etc off to make it reasonably straight for the lathe.

After quite a lot of turning I was left with this core with lots of interesting coloration.

Split into 3 as I needed three supports, detail to be added as I went along.

Inbetween I had some coffee and went for a second rummage in the garage loft as I had not yet found a top bar for this thing.

Then I found these Space ships and UFO's strips of dado rails at 1800mm, they fitted the 900mm sizes I was working with.

Cut, marked and drilled the top supports where the pipes mouth pieces should fit into.

Next up was the base plates on which the pipe bowls would rest.

I used a router bit in the drill press to create these bowl rests.

Job done.

At this point I went back to turning the supports which by now had been on the lathe for over 24hrs.

Resulting in this.

Cut up on the bandsaw to form these

Put together without the front strip that covers the space ships and UFO's

I then had to make the uprights for the second rack....

Cut 13 inches off the handle of Mickeys yard broom, he is short so does not need a tall broom.

Resulting in these.

I loved them for their simplicity personified

Final product...... 22 pipes per rack.

Happy ? You Betcha.

Ohhh, and the boss thinks I am a clever old stick.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote