Thread: Teenagers Dream
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #17
argonaut

Re: Teenagers Dream

Regarding lift kit, the answer is no. But just because no one makes a lift kit, doesn't make it impossible. However there are some serious challenges.

First lets look at the rear:
The factory spring mounts relatively high on the frame, with a modest arch to it, and has a 5-1/2" block to achieve the proper ride height. For this reason you won't be simply bolting in a 4" or 6" block like on a cheap, late model truck lift kit. Also, the stock springs have unique eye diameters and bushings that are unlike most of the common lifted leaf springs. So you won't be able to simply order a 4" lift spring and install it. This all means custom spring hangers and shackles, or custom leaves. Both can be done, but neither is cheap or easy. I chose to use some later model spring hangers and some of my own fabricated mounts on my truck in order to use standard aftermarket lift springs.

Then the front:
Up front you can actually get away with using common lift springs from a 72. The lengths and widths are the same. The eyes are different, but you can have poly bushings turned down, bored out, and cut down to fit. It isn't the best design, but it will work. otherwise you need to do the same as the rear and use later model hangers and shackles to mount the later model springs.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote