View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #21
Grizz1963

Re: Weird collections - Number plates etc. Show us yours too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Those look great ,cant wait to see them loaded with pipes ,also love all your tools .
Thanks mate. I am happy if my wife is happy.

The tools are an eclectic mix of old and new.

All bought for sensible money.

Bandsaw is industrial size and cost £100 on Ebay, collection was "Free" about 160km from here as I had a business meeting less than 10km from there and had a company car. It came from the Harry Potter movie set building company when it was wrapped up.

My Vintage Coronet Major lathe which also has a circular saw and planer attached was another Ebay purchase for about £260 plus £50 to use the neighbour AND his Sprinter van and moving tools. It is a nasty heavy old thing and worth so much more than I paid for it. Came with loads of extras and tools. I also make my own tools for it from old Steel files bought at swap meets and boot fairs at 50p to £1 each.

My sheds table drillpress is a three man moving experience. Possibly early 50's vintage, converted at some stage from three phase to single phase for donestic use, bought off Ebay for £62.50 and fetched near Dover on a Saturday shopping outing with the wife, Dover is about 70km from us. The old guy was selling all his stuff as he had terminal lung cancer and actually died ten days later. An amazing artisan, he wanted his machines to go to people who would use and appreciate them.

My large linisher/belt sander has to be the best Ebay strike ever. Bought while sitting in a Southampton hospital, waiting to see a customer who was running late for our 11.00am appointment, I sat surfing the web and Ebay while waiting for him. I was in the market for a belt sander but had got outbid on quite a few. I saw a new listing with a bad description and sent a message to the seller to see if she ( yes a lady) had a Buy it Now price. She replied that £45 would buy it if I collected same day..... Needless to say, from Southampton I drove after work to Folkestone, she helped me get it out of a basement with me still dressed in a suit and tie from work. I got home after 8pm that night to a very impressed wife. That machine sells for over £400 new.

I tend to only buy on reduced, I buy certain tools only in top brands, like my belt sanders will always be Makita, but cordless drills, I am happy with mid range on house brands.

I also love "dumpster diving" and if you see some of the tools I have retrieved, you will understand.

CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE A THREAD I RUN JUST ON MY BEST "TIP TREASURE " SCORES.

http://www.retrorides.proboards.com/...y&thread=89875

I do not recycle or re-purpose for the environment, but rather for my pocket.

It releases money for stuff like buying an early 60's C10 Short Fleetside
Posted via Mobile Device
Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote