View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #34
Big Rat

Re: Big Rat's 1979 C10 High School Hot Rod Restooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
I can't stop laughing reading through this. I love informative threads, but informative with humor is something new! Can't wait to see more reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'blazer View Post
awesome build dude! good luck!
Thanks guys. Stupid stuff just comes to me naturally and than I can't control it overflowing onto this here keyboard. I am glad that you gents have a good sense of humor. I never thought having a build thread would be a way to keep motivation up. That and the awesome interaction on here is a big help to get ones lazy butt up and off the couch or start receiving those, "any updates on this build?" messages in the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Terrific writing, loving it. If there's a HF nearby, a couple casters on stands makes the frame a lot easier to deal with.
Luckily I am one of those lucky guys with a HF really REALLY close. (One of four in Utah!) The castors are a great idea. I'll certainly need some way to move it around soon.

Quote:
Remember the headlights? If you intend on your own paint, get used to it, it's the nearly exact same process.
I would love to learn paint and body skizzillzz, which is why I opted to do my '79 first as the body does need work, but isn't in too bad of shape. Figured it would be a good learning curve for me. Plus, it would be one more thing to save money on. One of my dad's friends can lay paint that looks like you could swim in it, soooooo, that is pretty hard to resist a paint job that'll look that good for my old truck.

Quote:
Can't wait to see where this goes next, if just for story alone. Please continue. The badass rental pressure washers come in handy at this stage. As for the frame, the battery powered sawzall is your friend. Go to pick a part and lop out a large chunk of the same affected area from a good frame. . Cut out bad stuff. Precisely match with new stuff and weld in. If you can't, get someone who can. Then get grade 8 clamping washers, big yellow buggers, and weld them to the backside of the mount surface.
Luckily, I have a father-in-law that has to own better than the biggest and the best of everything. Example, every now and then he will cut the weeds in his pasture, so, he went out and bought a $50,000.00 Kabota with A/C and all the attachments! Same goes for his boat, lawnmower, and pressure washer. Thankfully I am a extraordinary butt-kisser and he lets me borrow his toys! Except for the boat, I'm not quite that skillful, yet... Thanks a lot for the pointers on the repairs! I figured it would be something like that, or at least some JB Weld and duct tape, which is why I saved the old pieces!

Quote:
I promise I'm not a condescending prick, I hate that. I just don't know your background, other than mad humorous writing skillz. Any question, fire away, and continue, good sir!
No worries whatsoever! I'm not one of those sensitive peoples that thinks people are out to insult when being constructive. I'm all sorts of open to hints and tips to get me towards the end result quicklier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
So after I read your review of the headlight restoration I decided to go tackle my wifes KIA. I know no self respectin Southern should own a KIA, well you know. So instead of the stuff you used ( which I may still end up trying down the road) I busted out something from the bathroom. Toothpaste. I had heard a year or so ago to try toothpaste. I thought "really?" but it worked. I just cleaned them real good with windex and then went to it. Basically put the tooth paste on like wax and then washed it off with water. Made a big difference. I did try it in a spot that was unnoticeable first. I won't say they are perfect but got to be better than before at night. Thanks once again for humor and fun.
You are welcome. I enjoy the humor as well. I'm always trying to keep it in the back of my mind as I'm working along. The toothpaste thing is something my wife was just talking about the other day. That pinterest and it's ideas are EVERYWHERE! It sounds like the toothpaste is the Red Green Show's equivalent (minus usage of duct tape at some point) of Meguiar's Plast-X Polish and it is awesome for headlights that are in not too bad of shape. It's more for maintenance I use it on my big trucks at work and all my cars. If the lights are chipped and/or extremely yellow the sanding then buffing really helps a lot. I left my Plast-X at work and they say to apply that after the buffing and you will see an even more noticeable difference.

Thanks everyone for following, it helps to keep the motivation high, and the humor just shy of the gutter!

'69 C20 - Grandpa's 'ol truck
'70 Nova - Birthday present from the wife. She's a KEEPER!
'79 C10 - High school hot rod, BUILD THREAD

Last edited by Big Rat; 03-31-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Big Rat is offline   Reply With Quote