View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #55
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Gauge cluster trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsali39 View Post
A poor connection at the firewall block will affect all the positive feeds inside the cab and they may be intermittent as well which, is very frustrating. Even if there is a connection to the light switch, if it is not a good one will result in high resistance to current flow to ground through any loads. The voltage and current will follow the least path of resistance to ground which will leave less power for the higher resistances to ground. I hope this makes sense.

I need to see what was taken apart and blown with air. My two bulbs for the gas guage do not light and they are closest to the plug. The two that light the speedo work fine. Go figure. I have grapples with this for a year to no avail. Everything else electronic works fine!
You stated, "My two bulbs for the gas guage do not light and they are closest to the plug. The two that light the speedo work fine." I'd be trying jumping 'equivalent wires' from one of those working correctly to those mal-performing; if this makes them light ** , you now have 2 further routes to decide between: (1) Do I just make these temporary jumpers into permanent connections? or (2) Do I dig deeper to determine just exactly from where the problem originated? If you choose number (1)--and I surely would--cut the 'dead' wires initially feeding those bulbs and terminate them safely; make the jumpers from the always-working bulbs into now permanently feeding both ground AND voltage to the previously non-burning bulbs. I'd never even consider (2), as I'd KNOW at this point that (1) would suffice.

**If this did not make them light, you know the problem is one of the 3 following: (a)the section of original wire from jumper to socket is bad, or(b)the socket is bad, or(c)the bulb is bad--you will now know what it would take to correct the problem; hint: you know you now have both voltage and ground available at the jumper-wiring-connections: repair from there out!

In the end, should you choose the working (1) alternative, you have not found the original defect; however, what difference does that really make?--you have achieved your ultimate goal: getting the 2 gas-gauge bulbs to burn. Might save you from "grappling with this for another year--maybe to no additional avail".
HTH,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote