View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
snj8198

Re: Any EFI experts out there? Fuel problem...

hi mtm,

Fuel aeration is exactly the problem you described. I too experienced this issue with my stock tank when i first installed my Pro Flo system and allowed the returning fuel to "splash" back into the tank. Here's what i did to fix it.

Pull the stock sending unit, drill and weld in a 3/8" hardline for the return. I bent the hardline at about 60 degrees at roughly 2/3rds the distance down the tank and made it long enough to reach within an inch or two from the bottom of the tank all the way to the driver's side corner. This is so to keep the discharging fuel as far away from the pick up tube as possible. I also used a sock on the discharge to help minimize the returm stream. This may be more effective at low fuel levels if it's helping at all. You may experience some venting issues that will need addressing as well. My fuel cap needed releasing on occassion until through trial and error i managed a vent set up that seemed to alleviate the issue.

Remember these pumps are better pushers than pullers so hopefully you have it installed as close to the tank as possible. Also, you state you have a clean tank, but regardless, either install a 100 micron filter (or better) before the fuel pump or reinstall a new sock on the pick up tube. The filter after the pump should be a 10 micron. It doesn't take much to clog the injectors creating issues.

Also remember, the stock tank does not have a sump or baffling so you may run into performance issues at very low fuel levels, especially if you are driving in a way that really gets the fuel sloshing in the tank. I figured it was best to never run the tank to less than 1/8" full.

I hope I helped you a bit here. Good luck with it and have fun. -steve

Last edited by snj8198; 04-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.
snj8198 is offline   Reply With Quote