View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #90
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Preparation for Desert Trip VI

Day 7: Friday, March 29th
Goal: Start 1,342 mile migration home. Today’s destination – Hampton Inn in St. George, UT (400 miles)

Friday morning we all took our time packing up trucks for the highway in disbelief the Death Valley trip had come to an end.

As we left the campsite headed towards Hwy 190 we ran across these neat old cars parked in the desert.
Looked like an old Buick and Chevrolet

As we topped off the tires with air and said our goodbyes.

Ty's silver Dodge headed to San Diego while the Richard's white one was headed to Palm Desert for an Easter weekend vacation with family meanwhile, we have a 1,342 mile ride ahead of us to get back home to Colorado.

Little Elvis insisted upon checking busy Hwy 190 to make sure it was safe to cross. Sure enough, nobody coming from either direction for as far as the eye could see

So our grand plan was to exit Death Valley through to Beatty, NV then Beatty to Las Vegas to catch I-15 to St. George to stay for the night. This would be about 400 mile ride from where we aired up. From St. George planned to hit Moab to check out the Easter Jeep Safari on the way home. Beatty to St. George would be a quick jaunt through the desert if it wasn’t for Nellis Air Force Base being directly in the way.

Sights just South of Beatty, NV. Thought about stopping but MIL said…negative!

We got into North Las Vegas with In-N-Out Burger burning a hole in our minds. Unfortunately, we never found one even after seeing a sign that said this exit. I was getting frustrated driving around in circles looking for In-N-Out Burger in thick Las Vegas traffic so we ended up eating at the world’s slowest McDonald’s instead. Imagine our disappointment in eating a quarter pounder with In-N-Out on the mind. Cutting though Vegas turned out to be a 1.5 hour ordeal I hadn’t planned on just to get gas and food. What hassle! I think my GPS caused more issues than helped in this area to boot.

We saw an Aston Martin speeding around the Las Vegas Motor Speedway parking lot though as we flew up I-15

We arrived at the Hampton Inn in St. George around 5ish. It was a treat to get the first real shower in a week, do some laundry and eat a full dinner we didn’t have to cook.

That is it for Friday….

More shortly….
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote