View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #24
SS Tim

Re: Custom Deluxe emblem from Janesville Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29od1 View Post
Just for reference, I have a 71 from Janesville with a center justified Custom emblem and the VIN is 1J639308.
Great to hear. This is looking more and more like the Janesville plant used the centered Deluxe emblem for both years. Yours is the highest 71 J serial I know of at this point. Do you know the month of production in 71 from the blue door sticker or engine date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Tim, sorry for the bum steer on Joe's 71 "and" 72 - they're both 72s.

So, I am a little confused - I can see where a 71 with centered "Deluxe" could lend itself to the "leftover 70 fender" theory - but why would there be an assumption that 72s prove this theory? I'd assume (and you know what they say about Ass U Me-ing...) that the 70 fender inventory, if leftover, would have been exhausted in 71 sometime, not present in one plant only all the way thru 72(?)
No worries NO ONE remembers everything all the time.

Originally I thought this was only a small pool of vehicles. A verifed small group could indicate a production clean up and build out with excess inventory. But as the group expands it is looking more and more like they simply used the 70 punch pattern through 71 and 72. But you are right it seems unlikely they were leftovers for that entire period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
IMHO these details are interesting. I think plant to plant variations add character.

Did they actually make the sheet metal parts at each factory? Or we're they shipped to the factories for assembly? Iirc at Fremont a train pulls up and rolls of steel and parts come off and cars get spit out the other end of a few mile journey. Sorry my questions prolly aren't helping.
Thanks for the interest in the thread. Still trying to find out if Janesville had a stamping plant or if the fenders were shipped in.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote