View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #69
AlaskaMatt

Re: 6.2 diesel swap, like to hear from people who have done it

So far I am seeing 15 all around mixed driving, that's real calculator figures not guesstimate. I think my fan clutch is shot and robbing some power, sounds like a jet taking off with hard acceleration :-) I've had fans go before and this is that sound. I am just getting away with it because its not totally locked up and the lower rpm range of the diesel makes it not as a obnoxious as when it happened on the gasser. Additionally we are still on winter fuel here. Everyone I know with a diesel around here tells me they pick up 2-3 mpg when it goes back to number 2. Hope I do too.

Power wise I am pretty happy. I readjusted my tv cable a bit and that helped. I had it too tight and it was downshifting far too much. Found the sweet spot. I also discovered that my egr was open a great deal. I pulled the vacuum line off and it runs much better now with some more power. Yours won't have that as the 3/4 ton was a j code and didn't have the emissions stuff. You also get a few more ponies than me. Overall I really like how it drives.

Work has been nuts but soon I will do a detailed build post as there are some things to know. Most I have at least alluded to in this thread already. Don't remember if I mentioned the tranny pan clearance issue with the short shaft to go to the np205. I over drilled the pan holes and moved it over a quarter inch and a little hammer massage too. Clears now, but not by much. Maybe .5 inches.

There are other things like the hydro boost and the column shifter. They all actually worked out very well but there were some mods needed to do it. Wiring is pretty simple but get a good diagram of the donor before you start. It really helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 04-09-2013 at 01:27 AM.
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote