View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #547
Pick

Re: Post Your Straight Six Pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
It needs no fuel additives .

Is it still running rough ? .

You can test the plug wires with a test light if you have one .

The HEI from any old 1975 ~ 1987 GM L6 is a direct drop in , you'll need to grab the whole Magilla , dizzy , cap , rotor , wires , power wire with correct end , unwrap the harness and get it all the way back to the firewall .

The power from your keyswitch now , is reduced to run the points so you'll need to provide a 12 V power source to run the HEI , it needs heavier wire too as it draws a fair bit of power .

The Long Beach Veterans Stadium Swap Meet always has HEI dizzies for your engine brand new ~ I trust GM's old stuff moreso than I do new Chinese but the new stuff is often far cheaper than buying all you'll need @ Pick-A-Part .
For what it's worth, I'm doing this to mine right now. I wanted to keep driving my '68 for now so I went with "cheap". (I have a SBC on the stand right now and I'm gathering parts for the swap.)

Anyway, I went with a Skip White (yes, I know) straight 6 HEI and ordered the power wire from Year One...it comes pre-made with the Packard 58 connector on one end to go directly into the fuse block and the HEI terminal on the other end. (unfortunately, the power wire hasn't arrived yet so I can't give a review of the whole process.)

If anyone's interested, I can give a complete review once everything is in and done.

A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears to be doing both. L. P. Jack
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote