View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #42
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

The compushift/paddle shifter option still retains automatic shifting, actually 2 different selectable profiles for automatic shifting and then electronically allows full manual shifting with the paddle shifter by pulling the right paddle and holding it for a couple seconds. Everyone I talk to seems to put the compushift TCU in a whole other category from all the other TCUs out there. Cheap it ain't though.

Anyway, this all goes along with the dynamically reconfigurable approach I'm trying to get to with this truck, I'm going to be using the electronically selectable Ridetech Select coil overs. I've chosen the ECU because it has the hooks to do launch control, and a lot of spare analog and digital I/O ports, which I can use for, um... stuff. The engine in its native habitat has things like VVT and knock sensors which I may try and make do useful things eventually, although the stock cam grinds really use the VVT to do emission compliance and smooth out the torque curve so that the kids toys don't roll around in the back so much, not my priority.

I am trying to figure out a hackable double din Sat/Nav head unit that maybe I can tap into the touch screen output and video input so I can manipulate an onboard mITX PC to do ECU/TCU monitoring as well as control things like the Vintage Air system. If I can figure that all out I can pretty much eliminate virtually all switches and knobs from my dash. We'll see, that's more down the road.

I see the value in all the modern stuff new cars come with, well a lot of it anyway, but not so interested in the plastic tub it comes in, or the California "don't touch anything" rules, or the fact that I'm lucky if I truly understand 20% of how the controls really work. My goal is to build a technology advanced vehicle with a durable retro racing inspired shell. I know I don't get airbags, crumple zones and anti lock brakes, the last of which I find more of a nuisance than a feature, and the first 2, well I'm going to try not to crash into anything
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote