View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
cortcomp

Re: Finally caught a break NP440 / MY 6

I'm at work so i can't put too much detail in here, but mine is waiting to be picked up from the rebuilders as we speak (the aluminum cased standard bolt pattern version, not the part mopar part chevy bolt pattern version.) Anyway, it's a drop in switch. You can use that special mount and all, or just bolt a hurst competition plus shifter to the side, and make your own rods.

I have another of these in my 71- pontiac tempest (t-37) It has something like 360HP and 425 ft lbs of torque....at the wheels, on the heartbreaker mustang dyno. We figured it conservatively at 430HP and 500 ft lbs of torque. I have 17" nitto wheels, posi Olds-12bolt 8.4" rear, all upgraded tubular suspension and bushings, braces, etc. It puts more hurt on taht tranny than you likely can with any truck you'll find here save the LS and big block custom guys. It holds up fine and shifts great. I don't care much for finding the correct rods, you can make them with a jack handle on your bench.

I opted for heim joints, small bolts with locktite, and B7 alloy all thread. It shifts great (the hurst comp plus shifter is amazing) and has zero slop and will never wear out the shifter bushings becaus there are none. I love this model tranny, and come across them every couple years, i've had 3 in my hands in the last 5 and sold one. You have to take a lot out to totally change speedo gears, do that with the tranny out if you can do the math with your tire size and rear gear. OD is great with 3.73 gears. Don't forget the handy integrated backup reverse light switch.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote