View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #114
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Acid test run this morning to work and completing the test this afternoon with the 38 mile ride home. I checked early, no leaks overnight and the radiator drew just over a quart of coolant out of the resevour...so, the burping has started.

Made the 38 mile run to work at 55 mph and everything seems quite fine. The gaudy gal water spout on the front of the engine ain't leaking. And, checking on shut down at the office parking lot I noted coolant had puked back out into the resevour tank. Expectation is the air bubbles are about gone so I'll top it off in the resevour before the ride home today, watch it all for another day or three and it should be just fine.

As for the heat...no reason to even turn the fan on now, plenty of air flow off the cowl even at city traffic speeds. With the window half way down to vent the cigar smoke and listen to the growly new exhaust, the heater does quite a job of makein my feet sweat! Short of a core failure, (which I don't expect, the core looks just fine/no corrosion) I doubt I'll have any more heat/cool issues for a while. Though I plan to pull the center cowl vent and back it up with some black screen to let air in but keep gargbage out.

So, I guess tonight I cut a distributor gasket from my Felpro Sheet and get started gappin plugs and swappin out to the HEI ignition system. UPS Tracking says my Weber set up should be here Wed evening...given the engine is fully run in on the HEI by Friday, I spect the new carb and full tune happens this Sat and Sun! Given the motors pretty well detuned at this point (2 degrees advance, 24 degrees dwell) I'm anxious to note any changes in performance and mileage garnered by the HEI/Carb swap. Plus no gas leaks will be wonnerfullness!