Thread: clutch swap??
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2003, 11:51 AM   #7
palallin

Do NOT try to pull the clutch pedal from the pedal hanger if it is the heavy-duty version. Identifier: the heavy duty housing has a VERY hefty spring that is BOLTED to the lower part of the clutch pedal arm and BOLTED to a bracket on TOP of the pedal hanger.

Remove the hanger as a whole with both pedals attached and swap it into the new cab. It requires unbolting your master cylinder (but not removing it) and the bolts that connect the hanger to the back of the dash. Also, remember to unhook the brake light switch harness connector.

After you unhook the through-the-firewall clutch rod, KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM THE LEVER IT WAS ATTACHED TO. When I tried to pull that lever (in an attempt to swap the clutch pedal from one cab to another), the heavy spring tripped, and there went part of my finger. After six months, it is still not fully healed (they were only able to sew back together the pieces I took them :-/ ).

Do NOT try to unbolt that spring while under the dash: it is under a LOT of tension. If you must remove it, put the hanger on the workbench and figure a way to keep the spring under tension and to let it off slowly after removing a bolt.

None of these issues applies to the lighter duty pedal hanger.