View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #18
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: New catagory of builds: Pro-Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
Like pro touring, i think the idea would be a do all truck that excels as a towing rig. not necessarily a tow only rig.

Dual rear wheels (some exceptions) i like duallys but by no means does it have to have duals to be a sufficient tow rig

10,000 GVWR or greater. gonna be hard to qualify with any of the older "built" trucks. mine has that capability but is tagged for what the factory rated it
Like I said some exceptions, a 3/4 ton and SRW 1 ton can be a good tow rig, but it is not hard to push them to their limitations and beyond. In order for a 3/4 ton to fall into this category I think that it would have to be beefed up, extra springs, heavy axles, ect. a LD 3/4 ton really doesn't cut the mustard here because it is a glorified half ton.

My 2000 GMC has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs, my 72 14,000 lbs.

I forget that the SRW 1 ton in a 88-98 is only rated at 9000 Lbs. Looking through your build thread (which I somehow missed) I can see that when your truck is done it will be perfectly capable of doing anything a 1 ton can do, and really id say it falls into the spirit of what we are talking about here.

I am going to say if someone calls a 1/2 ton a "Pro-Towing" truck I'm going to laugh at them!

Quote:
CB/HAM radios personally not concerned with what the rest of the world has to squak about. i may consisder a CB at some point.
I like my Ham radio, we call it CB for grownups!

Quote:
Navigation systems Not necessary IMO. i have a nice atlas and a inborn urge to see the world from the backroads. plus if i get to screwed i have a smartphone. but id be lying if i hadnt considered a GPS
I have no issue with that, but I can say I started using GPS back in 2006, I have not looked back since, I have learned how to use the atlas on my computer to program it, has made my life so much easier, it allows me to plan my trips exactly like I want them to go down, and using sites like GasBuddy.com I am able to find the cheap fuel and save money.

I also often take back roads, The GPS is great on em because when I program a route I don't miss a turn or get lost, used to use it to get around all the toll ways in Illinois and around the weigh stations when I was trucking. They are a great tool, but like any tool they are no better than the idiot using em!

[\quote]i agree with the general feeling of the list but offered my opinions on a few items, and a few of them are pretty open to interpretation, which i like![/QUOTE]

I think there is a lot of interpretation to be had, and really what it boils down to what your needs are in a tow vehicle.

One thing I do insist on, and this is just me with about a million miles of towing experience behind me in everything from a Jeep to a 8 axle semi and one hell of a lot in between, if I had my druthers id outlaw towing anything more than a single axle trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. I have seen too many wrecks and had a few close calls of my own that had I been a lesser driver would have been really nasty because of too little tow vehicle.

Now the only thing I will run as a tow vehicle is a dually because of how much better they handle a trailer than a SRW. But I also understand not everyone needs one, nor can everyone stomach paying for 6 tires at a time!