View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #63
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: [B]65 Stepside Frame off Resto[/B]

I feel your pain!
My roof was a real Pain in the rear!...
Something had fell on my roof prior to me owning it, and it was kinked across the ridge.
I played hell trying to get it flat without oil-canning.
All this time, I was working on the roof while the cab was on it's nose!
When I finally had everything flat & straight, I set the cab back upright, and noticed that the rear drip-rail on the drivers side was 3/8" lower than the passenger side....You had to study it a bit to see it, but once noticed, it was like a bad accident, you didn't want to stare, but couldn't help it!
I soon after spent a great deal of time with a sledge-hammer, while my dad held a 2 x 12 that we had ground to a contour that matched the shape of the rail, that allowed me to strike 50-60 times with great force to drive the drip-rail upward to match the other side...And while doing all of this, ALL of the filler that I had worked so hard to get flat & straight was flying around the garage!!...Needless to say, It is CORRECT now, but if I woulda left it the way that it was, not many people would have noticed, But I would have saw it EVERYTIME that I looked at it!
Even though nobody knows that it was even there, I am so glad that it is fixed correctly.
Take pride for making it right!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote