View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #185
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Mostly tweaks tonight. Started with a spanky new fanbelt to replace the whiney old one. Still a bit of whine so laying a straight edge across the alternator pully, not perfectly in line with the water pump pully...so, a quick shift of the extra washer on the alternator bracket from outside to the inside (After loosening the lower alternator bolt) and pulled it forward a smige more. Tighten the top, snug the bottom....vroooom,,,,,,much less noise from the belt while working on the carb and choke adjustments later.

Prior review of the electric choke houseing indicated no reference marks for adjustment anywhere. So, a couple marks with silver and black sharpies before loosening up the three retention bolts.

Engine completly cold...Throttle open one third to clear the linkage, butterflys close weakly. I loosened the retention screws on the choke and rotated it just shy of 3/16" counter clockwise, locked down the screws. Still holding the throttle open one third, poked around at the choke butterflys and....they slam shut good and proper. Cycleing the throttle fully and the choke butterflys pop open slightly as they are supposed too....allowing the choke mechanism to clock the fast idle cam thru its range from partly closed to fully open.

This is the start point, not real clear but engine cold. Choke now clocked 3/16" counterclockwise. Butterflys fully closed and the fast idle screw sits up on the top (fat part) of the choke cam. Turn the key and without touching the pedal, the engine roars to life and immediatly settles into a fast idle of 1400 RPM. Shut er down affore it gets hot.

Cycle the pedal with the engine off and now finally, I have contact between the fast idle screw and the smaller portion of the choke cam. I start the engine w/o touching the pedal again and it fires up and immediatly settles into a moderatly fast idle hovering around 800 rpm on the tail (skinny part) of the choke cam....Now as I drive the truck before its fully warmed up/butterflys partly closed, the choke cam will prevent the idle from dropping immediatly to its much slower fully warm setting of 600 RPM. If its right, backing out of the garage and driving the first few hundred yards should always see an idle above 600 untill its fully warmed up. That'd be what I want, no goosin the gas and bumblefutzin around at stop signs to keep a cold motor runnin...I can dream of havin a radio in there to play with instead.

I smoke a cheep cigar for about 4 minutes or so to let the running engine fully warm up, it sits there comfortably at 800 RPM the entire time...I blip the gas and the choke cam drops clear of the fast idle screw and low and behold, a lovely smooth 600 RPM warm idle.

Last edited by Sharps40; 06-28-2014 at 06:43 PM.