View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #186
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Well, first off, time to fix the rattle in the steering column so I don't have to keep wigglein the shifter to find the quiet spots in each gear...side benefit of liberally applied grease on the lower shifter block is smoother shifting. A drive across town had it slicked up and quiet. Now I can listen to the motor and not be worrien its hellish spark knock!

Front motor mounts gotta go...this is the PS side, it used to be the DS side but was swapped over during the engine rebuild cause of the exhaust heat damage to it. You'll see later, its a big fail.

New front mounts at Oreillies, $6.99 each, Made in America, finally, an American made part. Only $2.99 from Rock Auto but $40eleven to ship and a 27 year wait...so, Orellies it is.

Here one of the original mounts on top of the new mounts. Holes line up but some differences down near the block...that underside hidden screw is gonna be a booger. Guess I'll pull the stands to, do partial assembly on the bench, tightening only the hiden screw and then rebolt it in as an assembly...top of the block and working my way down as I ease the engine back down on to the stands.

Don't need to shim the engine up much...just loosen all the stand and block bolts and shim it up about 1/8" inch or so. Here I've shoved in onea the new mounts to show, not to high, don't need to raise it much at all.

I pulled the entire drivers side stand and assembly and now reinstalling the new mount to the engine bracket. The only screw I'll tighten before installation is the bottom hiden screw in the U-groove...everything else is loose so I can wiggle all the parts, drop in screws, finger tight nuts and slowely bring the engine down while makeing sure nothing is bound. It was pretty bound/out of alighment when I loosened up the bolts. Had to drive a couple out and the stands sprung back.

Heres the completed assmebly, only the hidden bolt tightened, ready to drop back onto the frame and crossmember.

Engine weight still supported, tighten up bolts to block. Then tighten bolts from mount to stand. Ease the engine down, make sure the stand bolts are not bound in the frame and cross member then tighten them a bit with some weight. A bit more with some more weight. Final tighten the stand to frame/cross member bolts when the engine is fully down. (Don't forget to snug up the big bolt that comes up thru the stand into the bottom of the new rubber mount)

Last edited by Sharps40; 10-07-2013 at 07:21 PM.