View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #194
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

And, a good Sunday chat with Mr. Langdon. We are finishing up the fuel mileage check...looks like its going to come in around 14 to 17... as expected.

And for the weaker feel, yes, primary barrel is half the size of the Rochester B, this gives somewhat better economy. Yes, the power on the top end will feel better and you should note an increase in top speed, especially when the secondary comes in at 2/3 throttle. So, I'm feeling pretty good about the tune.

Mr. Langdon is working with Weber as they retune the performance of this carb for the AMC 258. So, I have some homework assigned by Mr. Langdon.

1. Please finish and report on the fuel mileage and overall assessment of this carb as jetted from the factory. (Right now I am really happy)

2. Please install the larger secondary main jet, check for maximum secondary throttle opening and report if there is a significant change in feel from transition to secondary up to WOT.

Advice from Mr. Langdon...

1: It is possible to check for the need to increase the primary and secondary main jet sizes by temporarily inserting fine wire (15 to 20 thousands diameter) in the jets in the air horn. If its better lean on the air horn jet, its an indication you can run richer mains.

2: Ask momma to stomp and hold the pedal while I check for Secondary Wide Open butterfly...if its not wide open, adjust the linkage till it is. Do this check with the gas pedal not just by grabbing and moveing the throttle shaft from under the hood.

3: Don't forget the secondary throttle adjustment screw on the bottom of the carb...adjust it in about 1/2 turn or so and you'll pull some idle/low speed gas at all times from the secondary circuit....what does this mean? When you mash the pedal flat, there is already gas in the secondary...no hesitation tryin to pick it up!

Last edited by Sharps40; 04-29-2013 at 07:49 AM.