View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #361
skymangs

Re: Project "Sweet 16"

I believe this was a Champion. I bought it off of ebay. I can post a link to the company's store when I get home. They had a 99.8% pos. feedback, and when I called them they were very knowledgable. Radiator was listed as a direct replacement for 47-54 Chevy/GMC trucks. Is fully tig welded (no epoxy) and comes with transmission cooler if needed. It fit very well and the brackets were pre-welded at the correct angle, but it is 1.5" thicker and 3/4" taller than the stock one, so the fan had to get switched to a pusher.

Rad did not come with a fan, That was another ebay purchase months ago. I think it was 40 something shipped. 16", 2500cfm, reversable.

Water pump was from ebay as well. Someone I know told me that aluminum wp's cool much better than cast iron, and I didn't believe it. There isn't enough surface area for aluminum to make much difference... I had to do some research and found that the difference is that alum. doesn't contract and expand as quickly as cast, so with billet guts, the tollerances can be machined much tighter. So I went with one.

It was 85 degrees and HUMID all day Sunday. 370 miles and it never passed 160 degrees engine temp. Can't beat that with a stick!
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote