Thread: Project 69SWB
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #288
~Whitey~

Re: Project 69SWB

Well after getting the cab mounted to the frame and torqued down, I started getting serious about aligning all the panels and found that I could not for the life of me even after reading every single thread about door alignment get the passenger door to align right. One problem I ran into is during the a pillar repair on the passenger side either I wasn't paying attention or it was from the damage to the cab, the top hinge and bottom hinge are not parallel with each other.

Kind of hard to see in the pics, but the bottom is tilted in towards the rocker making door alignment even more of a PITA that it would be normally.

Name:  69Chevy_apillar1.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  69Chevy_apillar2.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  95.9 KB

I just cut the front side and then used a 2x4 and 3lb hammer to straighten it out, then welded it back up.... REAL SLOW LIKE.

Name:  69Chevy_apillar3.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  56.5 KB

Name:  69Chevy_apillar4.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  76.2 KB

I can't stress enough to anyone welding, GO SLOW, I've rushed through a few welded areas and have caused myself more work and more than one setback by welding to fast and warping stuff. I also had to cut my rocker in a few places also, because it was too high at the bottom gap with the door and won't let my door come down enough so that my fender and cowl match up. I've got it cut and the door is looking good now, but I still gotta weld it back in the places I cut... I tacked it, but tonight I figure I'll finish it up.. SLOWLY. :-) I WILL HAVE PERFECT GAPS IF IT"S THE LAST THING I DO!!