View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
dingesb

Re: '41 Chevy Inherited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
You should check out the stovebolt forums on starting engines that have been sitting for some time, You don't want to break any valves/pushrods.
Don't suppose you would have any particular ones in mind you could share a link to? My '53 sat for about 35 years before I got it. I dropped the oil, changed the filter, put on a new fuel pump, cleaned all the lines, pulled the tank and cleaned it and dumped in new gas. I tore the carb apart and cleaned all the nasty gunk out of it and rebuild it as well. I also went through and did new plugs/wires/cap/condenser/coil before I tried to start it. Once all that was done I pulled the valve cover and scraped all the junk out of it then put a new gasket on. She ran decent once I got it going then I set the valves. Am I missing anything? haha I was a mechanic for years so I've got the know how to do it, just need a list of stuff to go through!
94 GMC Sierra GT with 66k original miles,'41 Chevy SOLD, '68 Chevy 1/2 2wd-2nd owner SOLD, '72 Chevy 3/4 4wd SOLD, '08 Chevy 1/2 4wd-service pickup, 2005 GMC 1/2 4wd 4 door lifted-my toy-SOLD, 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 2009 Harley Street Glide
dingesb is offline   Reply With Quote