View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Ackattack

97 Jeep TJ fixer upper

Just got a "new" 97 TJ. I got a pretty good deal on it, but it needs a little TLC

First some pictures:

It has a rough country lift on it, I'm guessing 4" and the tires are 33x12.50s. Has a 4.0L and 5 speed. It appears as though it had a plow on the front of it at one time.

So I just got it yesterday and here is the list of needs.
1) The track bar has a tie rod end on it that wobbles around in the hole. I tried tightening it up, that helped a little, but IMO its dangerous so it won't get driven until its taken care of. To remedy it, I ordered a rod end and an adjustable track bar bracket that will remove the slop, and obviously work better off roading.

2) The front axle u-joints are completely shot, I'm surprised they haven't fallen out. Ordered new u-joints.

3) One of the rear shocks' lower bushing is completely gone, so its a little bouncy. Ordered new rear shocks (pro comp es1000)

4) The door handles don't work (interior or exterior). Ordered a new set of both.

5) Both side mirrors are broken. Ordered a new set of those as well.

6) Tranny grinds, especially when downshifting. I don't know if I'll rebuild it myself, or pop it out and take it to a tranny shop. I just finished rebuilding/upgrading the NV4500 in my Cummins powered GMC truck, so we'll see.

7) No rear bumper and dumb looking front bumper. I'll probably just make my own.

8) Rust holes through both front fenders. Probably get or make some tube front fenders

9) Cracked hard top in the back and the back vent is popped out. I'll probably do a little fiberglass repair and pop in a new vent.

Now, I have not driven it on the highway or verified the gearing to know what's in it as far as compatibility with the 33s. The 3 miles I have driven it, it seemed to start out fine

I initially bought it just to fix up and flip, but I might just have to keep it to have some fun wheeling with I've always wanted a TJ, and had a lot of fun in my ZJ that I sold a few years ago.

So if I do keep it, I would probably put a long arm suspension kit on it, 14 bolt rear (have it sitting in the garage that came out of my GMC) and Dana 60 front with lockers, gears, SYE, winch, reinforced cage, bla bla bla. So we'll see what happens.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote