Thread: Hood Alignment
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
GuyO

Re: Hood Alignment

This is what I have learned from others and done myself.

First: do the fender alignment.
With the hood open, close the doors. Start with fitting the rear top of the fender. Place the ½” bolts in loosely.
Adjust the gap at the top of the rear of the fender to door. Tighten the bolt closest to the door to secure the position.
You may need to shim that bolt at the rear of the fender to align with the cowl (or shim the cowl to the fender whichever).
Open the door and tighten the rear cowl bolt.
Now, do the bottom fender bolt with the door closed, adjust the gap. You may need to wedge a non-scratching blade or body spoon to "force" the fender forward to get the desired gap.
This is one of the hard spots to get nice because you have to get both the gap and the in and out of the fender to door and the cowl at the same time. Shims/washers may be needed to get excellent fit.
Second: verify the core support is tight to the frame. Using a large builders square, check the “square” on the hood opening.
Measure opposing corners for total distance accuracy, prepare to loosen core support and reposition or slightly shim the tops of the fender where fender attaches to core support.
If OK and the distance between rear of fenders along firewall and front of fenders along core support are a 3/8" wider than hood widths then get the hood laying near flat on the hinges, then
Move the hood forward or back on each side to make the hood fit the opening between the fenders.
NOTE: If the gap is large on the front passenger and small on the drivers, then the hood needs to me moved back on the passenger side. As you move the hood back on a side it will close up the gap in the front of that side and open it at the rear of that side.
Third: Check alignment of hood latch.
Short of loosening the cab (as a last resort), use a bar to bend the hinges a little! Or drill out the hinge alignment holes with a step drill bit! But only if very close to perfect alignment. If not, loosen the cab and reposition the cab and start over with the fenders because you know the front clip is straight and square.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote