View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #726
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

I like your military history observations Mike. I’ve been an amateur student of WWII history and hardware since I was about 8 years old. All of my elders served either in WWII or Korea, and most of them were Marines, so I grew up around a lot of interesting information. Over the years, I came to understand I had a much more comprehensive understanding of the period than my dad, just like my younger son knows more about Vietnam that I do. He’s always had an interest because I was there, and he’s met and talked with a lot of vets. His interest/research has broadened my own understanding.

Hanging on our “Military Wall” downstairs along with photos of all the family members that have served, is a signed lithograph of the Memphis Belle. And one of our hobbies is having my wife read historical military biographies for our mutual enjoyment. So when I hear the roar of those 4 engine heavies, I’m the first guy out the door!

I’ve wanted a direct overhead shot of a flying B17 for several years, ever since I missed my first chance when my wife took the camera on a road trip! I just think it’s cool because how many people ever get the chance to see one from that perspective, let alone capture the image.

After a bit of adjustment on the timing, the new engine was up and running this afternoon! Initially it wanted to overheat because the main power wire to the electric fan became disconnected. I quickly reconnected the fan and hosed down the radiator and kept the engine running. It quickly dropped back down to 185 and the rest of the break in period was uneventful. Sorry no pictures today. There wasn’t anything interesting happening worth shooting.

I even got the hood back on using the same technique that removed it. I took my squeeze to work in the truck tonight and man, what a blast. The idle has a nice burble to it and the engine revs very quick and easy. The new clutch is much smoother than the old one, and setting the gear drive clearance specs in the new engine made it distinctly louder. It was the first thing my wife noticed. She really loves the gear drive and the new exhaust note. It’s kind of funny that prior to the crossover pipe being added to the exhaust system, the mufflers had a real “bark” to them under sharp acceleration. That went away when the balance tube went in. With the new engine it’s back! This thing can really put out an exhaust blast now that wasn’t there with the old engine.

The hot weather we’ve been enjoying for several days is gone, and tomorrow is forecast for thunderstorms. Depending on how lousy the weather gets, I’ll get some additional video posted in the next couple of days. I should probably wait a few hundred miles before beating it up anyway, but I’ll at least get something demonstrating the sound effects.

Thanks to everyone that has had interest and followed along with this project.