View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #1614
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
Hey ROB:

Automatic or Manual Transmission?
thats a tough call. For longer, full road coarse, i'd say manual. But for short auto-x, an automatic may have some merit. Trent Summers (Summers and Sons black '70 C10) and Mark Bowler (Bowler Transmission) worked up what may be the ultimat short coarse package. They built an auto - 4L80 I think, that does some very cool stuff. Using some electronics and delay box stuff, this is what it does.
1) it leaves the line on the converter like a normal automatic, then within about 2 seconds of the launch, the converter goes fully locked up, and stays that way, acting like a stick trans, and allowing engine braking and throttle steering in the corners.
2) buttons on the steering wheel control the up and down shifting 1,2,and 3, using a simple ail cylinder on a ratchet shifter. The up and down shift is WAY faster than you could ever shift a stick. Reverse manual valve body.
So, using an auto, they get off the line faster and smoother, and shift faster up and down. It is a bit heavier, and needs a big cooler.

That being said, I like a stick, but, I'm currently building a 65 mustang using a C4 with a gear venders OD behind it. I want to build this car capable of finishing the 'One lap of America' next year, and this combo lays out to be the simplest and most bullit proof. What? Never heard of the One lap? google it, it's awesome.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote