View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #68
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Re: Project Curly - 1953 GMC Panel Truck

BIG UPDATE:

First - My photobucket account need some organization but by so doing I managed to kill the embedded photos for the rest of this thread.... so here is a link to all the photos: http://s281.photobucket.com/user/pan...0Panel%20Curly

There are so many photos I can't go back and swap them all out. But this change will lock in the new photos which are exciting pics if I do say so myself!

Second - The update! So after my little accident last summer where I bent the frame I tried to get it pulled and the prices that came back for estimates were crazy high in my opinion. So in stead I grabbed an extra 53 frame from my brother (he's building a 53 pickup on an S10) and started to build a whole new frame.

It was down the road 2 miles at my dad's place so I loaded it up and drug it home.

Got it home and on stands:

And the proceeded to strip it of all unnecessary brackets. Anyone not using the 'cut and x in the head of the rivet and air hammer it off' method is kidding themselves! It was super slick and easy to do!

Speedway Motors provided a new xmember and spring hat kit which comes w boxing plates... but since I didn't see those in there I made some... yup I'm dumb.

Fantastic kit and great price of $299.

Test fitting:

Tacked in... only to find my measurements were off and now I get to cut the tacks and re-position.

Also got some universal LS motor mounts from Speedway for the forth coming 5.3l I was planning before I even knew I was gonna build a new frame.

Next was to get the old frame out so I could get parts off it as well as measurements.

Had to deflate the rear wheels to get the frame out!

The whole time I was lifting the body, by myself by the way, I was imagining the article that could be written about me as I won a Darwin Award for a truck body falling on me.

My daughter came out after it was all secured though and helped:

Old frame separated from the body for the first time since about 2001... hopefully never again too.

New frame will get the front suspension parts, rear end, tank (i hope), brake booster and MC, wheels, body brackets, running board brackets and running boards. It will also get a brand new Ride Tech polished Stainless four link kit w Shockwaves.

For the motor swap, which I started buying parts for before I knew I needed to do a new frame, this is what I have:

5.3l 2000 Suburban engine w 75k that I purchased for $625. As you see it here is how I got it. (Actually bought two for that price. Other one is my dads)

Test fit on the old frame shows the stock manifolds won't work... looking at some Hooker Super Comps to replace em.

From there I put it on the engine stand for paint after much scrubbing w a toothbrush:

I don't have a pic w the intake back on but is all back together now and so I started working on the brackets for the accessories. Scrubbing, sanding, and filing off the casting seems was the first order of business. Since I can't afford some custom brackets I decided to put some good effort into making these look good.

sanding and filing

Semi gloss engine enamel will look really great next to the silver engine.

Bought all my accessories (alt, starter, p/s and MAF sensor) from partingout.com which was super cool place, highly recommend.

Picked up a 4l60e to put behind it, it still dirty and unpainted though.

The plan - Build out a full rolling chassis and then roll it back under the body and lower the body into place. I wan the motor and trans in place, the brakes working, the air ride hooked up (albeit on poor man style right now schreder valve.), and tires on.

If I can have the engine wiring harness roughly in place and radiator installed safely then I will do that too. Since this was a running an driving truck before all this my hope is I can plunk the body back on, bold down, connect the few dots remaining and fire it up.

Today is 5.14.13... and the goal is to drive the thing to a big show, Cache Valley Cruise In, on 4th of July weekend. (I know, its a tall order!)

-Panelrodder
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote