Thread: 305 build
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: 305 build

You're looking at a complete rotating assembly. At a minimum a forged crank and pistons. Aftermarket rods with fasteners that will make it to 7,000 RPM's. Not 100% sure if the 2 bolt block will take the abuse after that much power is put to it on a regular basis. The small bore will need to be bored out as well.

The heads will need to be aftermarket, and ported and polished to make the power. You'll have a couple grand in the heads alone.

Full roller valvetrain, which is gonna run another ,1,500 bucks. If you have a roller capable block... then you'll save maybe 500 bucks.

I'm telling you all this basically to tell you that you are wasting your time and money.

A 305 makes a great daily driver with a mild cam in it with stock heads that have springs to match the cam.

If you want to seriously make 400hp with a SBC on the cheap... a 350 or a 400 is what you want. You can make 1 hp per cubic inch with a 350 EZPZ for pretty much the same cost of a normal rebuild. If you factor in headers, carb and manifold, then the price gooes up. But it's doable for waaaayyyyy cheaper than a 305. Because a 350 and a 400 bottom end will hold 400hp with stock cast iron parts, and not need to see the huge RPM's to make the power. 400hp can be made with a 2 bolt block in a 350 as well.

Sell the 305 for 200 bucks and use it towars the purchase of a 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
GASoline71 the truck means more to me than anything I learned to drive in it at 8 years old learned how to work on motors with this truck and the same place offered my dad the same deal in 1995 or 1996 after he got it to show quality and he said no to it toyea the new camaros are nice but not worth it to me and the 307 is now on a stand with hole in the piston and what I dont get everyone bashes on 307 motors when in fact are great motors if built right ive seen a 307 with 400hp and that thing was stout and my dad and his friend built the 307 on the stand now 25 years ago it was a strong motor and believe it or not pretty fast
As long as you realize that sentimental value means nothing when selling or pricing a vehicle.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote