View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #745
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

In post number 739 above, the regulator is the chrome object with the white face pressure gauge near the carburetor inlet. In the 3rd photo, I relocated it down in front of the fuel pump.

Unfortunately, for the first time in nearly 50 years of doing hard lines, I had to completely redesign the fuel pump to carb layout I just fabricated. I simply could not get the setup to stop leaking. Gasoline kept dripping off the bottom of the pump, and I could not determine where it was coming from. Checking the bottom of each line with a piece of paper towel - none had any gas on it, but gas kept dripping off the bottom of the pump. I redid every tubing flare, and every brass fitting, and the pump continued to drip. So I pulled the new pump and replaced it as well. I thought maybe I cracked the outlet housing. The new pump leaked exactly as the other one did!

So I threw in the towel, pulled everything off today and made a much more simplified arrangement mounting the regulator at the top of the vertical line coming off the pump. I also added an inconspicuous bracket to the cylinder head, eliminating any vibration at the pressure regulator, and routed the upper line straight forward from the carb inlet before dropping to line up with the regulator output. This provides more working clearance for the choke connections and wrenching on the distributor hold down.

Everything works perfectly now, although I still have no idea why it leaked in the first place.

I’m hoping this is it for a while as I’m getting pretty burned out doing the same thing over and over.

I also lost my Moon Equipped decal on the back window. It was added to somewhat conceal the camera mount on the back window. I was washing the truck the other night and when I started rinsing off the back window, I realized the top half of the Moon eyes were gone. Within minutes the rest had blown off as well. I found this surprising as I had the same decals on the front fenders for a couple of years and they held up great to repeated washings. Perhaps they just don’t stick to glass as well as they do to paint.

Being an old Jarhead I’m thinking of replacing the lost decal with a gold foil USMC sticker instead. They’re actually a very thin metal, are impervious to just about anything, and I like the way they look. This is an old wrinkled sticker and the photo doesn’t do it justice. Everything except the white is highly reflective: