View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #783
chmurt

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Hello Bruce,

I am a newcomer to the site and I am totally in awe of your detailed build thread. I've spent two days and more gleaning information from it and will continue to refer back to it. I am in the process of restoring a 1971 GMC SWB Fenderside (stepside) which I bought new in Sept. 1970 and, admittedly, didn't take the best care of. Fortunately, being in Southern California, it wasn't often subjected to wet and muddy roads so there hasn't been any major rust problem nor any collision damage.

I too am of the age and can relate very fondly to those days when side mounted spare tires were quite common on pickups. Wish I would have ordered it as an option when I ordered the truck! As a result, I am installing a Side Mounted Wheel Carrier on it which (again admittedly!) has been giving me some mental fits with the fitup aches and pains to install new assemblies. I hope you will be able to take some time to respond to my questions:

1. Do you have any pics of the bottom support bracket under the bedwood and how it fits up and attaches to the vertical supports? (A fitup dimension and hole drilling location headache!)

2. How much clearance do you have between the tire and bedrail and the side of the fender cutout, or are you butting the tire tightly against those areas?

3. The fender Grommet through which the rear bottom leg of the sidemount bracket passes: I finally found one through internet search which is close to original - suitable but flimsy. The one on your installation looks much more substantial and, although it doesn't apply to my installation, I see it it also handles the antenna cable. Can you recommend a source and part number?

4. Do you see a need to coat the bedsides in the fender wells with Herculiner or some other product similar to what the fender insides are coated with? Seems as though there used to be undercoating there.

5. You mention on Page 15 of the thread that you applied Seam Sealer where needed before the painting process at the shop. I will need something like that in areas on the bed and tailgate when readying for paint. Can you recommend a product?

6. I've not mentioned that the front fenders, hood & cowl have been painted but are not fully assembled, although the cab exterior, interior and doors are complete painted and installed. Are the inner fenders installed prior to or after installing the outer fenders? I didn't see that mentioned in your build thread and couldn't tell from the pics.

That's it. Again, with great respect for your detailed notes and finished product and hoping for your reply, I am,

Chuck

I'm having a "H" of a time getting this email to send......

Last edited by chmurt; 05-29-2013 at 02:49 PM.
chmurt is offline   Reply With Quote