Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #1100
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looks good! Clean install.
Thanks VA. I'm happy with it.

So it's been 2 weeks with my truck up on jack stands. Today I went for a cruise.

The day started out poorly on the personal side, and when I went out to the garage I struggled badly to get going. I pulled off the rear tire to look at how I was going to run my tailpipe and was very discouraged. The pieces I had to work with were not going to cooperate. So I went with plan B.

I'm actually really happy with the sound. These downturns cost $10 each at O'Rielys. The first test drive sounded good except that it had a cackling noise on acceleration. Then I remembered the hole for the O2 sensor. So I got that installed and the closed loop is hooked up for the EFI.

The next test drive was pure joy. It was running better, smoother, less rich and the sound was just what I was hoping for. No more buzzing from the windows, no more drone. Going down the highway it was just a nice humming. Well worth the effort and cost.

The seats are in. It was a bigger chore than I anticipated.

Getting the front bolted down was easy enough. I just drilled holes through the brackets to match up with the existing seat holes.

But that weird shape of the back end was baffling me. They were designed to rest on the front edge of the rear bed floor in a tahoe. Well my cab aint got no raised floor to perch on, so I made one from a 2x8. Well 2 actually. One for each seat.

I matched the contours of the back mount, and matched the floor too for the driver side where it goes over the center hump. It works great and I should be able to hide it later when the upholstory gets done.

I thought I was done then, but saw the seatbelts I took out to remove the old seat and had to put those in. But I couldn't because there was no hole through the new seat for the belts to go through. So I had to take the damn thing out to cut a hole in it.

I had some left over door edge guard to use on the edges of the new hole so it doesn't saw through my nice new belts.

And to finish for the day I put in my cheapo floor mats. The center is supposed to be for a car backseat, but I think it works good on the hump.

All thats left to prep it for the trip is to wire up the radio, wash it, maybe change the oil, fill up the gas tank and load her up. Time for a road trip and omg do I freaking need the break.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote