View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #50
Clarance J

Re: Just another old truck.

Hello All, Well I finally got to drive Clarance J on the street 5/11/13. The last time he was on the road was Sept. 1994, so its been awhile. I didn't go far but I did go. He rattled a little bit because his fenders where loose but I just had to take it out. Ran good to the park and back. Made some new brackets for the tilt front and more bolts in the rear fenders to stop the rattles and a couple days later out we went again. A little further this time, around several blocks. Every thing worked like it was supposed too. Here's the but. The one problem I didn't like was the steering. I put power steering in with one of the kits that puts the box in front of the axle on the outside of the frame. No problem there. There were two problems that I had to solve. 1) The pitman arm that I bought that was supposed to be the one to use turned out to be too short. No matter how I played with the adjustments, on centering the box and drag link in and out I couldn't get full lock to lock. That was with the 4" pitman arm. The dimension it needed to be was 4.75". I had a real problem with cutting the old pitman arm (mentally) and welding it back together for that extra 3/4". I finally came up with a solution that I felt comfortable with and be safe with. The steering went lock to lock and everything was good to go. 2) The second problem popped up after I solved the first one. When I took it on the street the steering was too steery or sensitive. (How do you like that for a word?) So all that brings me to this part of the build. The steering stabilizer install.
Attached Images