View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Cheeseman

headers/manifold search....

OK, I have scoured these posts for days and now am scratching my head even more. I have finally got my LS (5.3) in the frame and it is mounted to a set of CPP stands. When installing the set up I ended up using the rearward set of mounting holes (had to drill the bottom hole into the crossmember to facilitate this) which to my understanding is the 6 cyl motor mount holes but this allowed me to have the room up front to install the factory LS A/C compressor as well as gave me the clearance for the factory LS oil pan without making any modification to the front suspension cross member. Now that I have that all in, it is time for the headers...and now I am stuck. I have read that the trailblazer ss headers are very popular. I am cool with that but now I am seeing that there are so many options and I am uncertain what would fit since I have the motor back about 3+ inches from where a "stock" location would have been. Ideally long tube headers would be great for the ease of finishing out the exhaust, but I am wanting to keep everything up in the frame rails and not below due to how low this truck already is and that it will be going to full bags in the future. I have been looking at Hooker manifolds, some Pace Setter shorttys and there are some BBY units from JEGS that have caught my eye as well. I am concerned that any unit will have a clearance problem with the motor mounts (CPP). Any preferences out there? I am working on a budget here, as with the whole build, so a $1000 set of headers is out of the question. I am not even opposed to a set of factory type manifolds, but I just want enough clearence so that I can clear the engine mounts.

Cheese "my head hurts" Man