View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #406
americanmusc1e

Re: 69 GMC "Ol' Blue"

I installed new gears so yes I had to set up the backlash and gear pattern again. If You are just installing a pinion seal you can probably go buy some gear marking compound (or just use grease) and check the pattern before you pull anything loose. Then pull the pinion nut off and change the pinion seal. then put the nut back on and tighten it down and double check the pattern. As long as you don't crush the crush sleeve any more than it already is you should be fine and the pattern shouldn't change. And as long as you don't take the carrier out the backlash shouldn't change.

if the pattern does change you should pull the carrier out and MAKE SURE you keep the shims in order because they handle the backlash. and then get yourself an in-lb torque wrench and a new crush sleeve and set the pinion preload back to specs. I'm not 100% sure what that spec is though. I think mine is set around 15 in-lb.

EDIT: I should make it clear that the crush sleeve controls pinion bearing preload and it is very important that the pinion bearings dont' have any slack in them. The marking compound may not give you a good indication of this. The best way is to pull the carrier out and reset the bearing preload with a new crush sleeve and a in-lb torque wrench. BUT! this is a front axle and it does not move with the hubs unlocked. It really does not see near the mileage that a rear axle will see. you are probably fine with the method above.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote